Advertisements

It’s What’s In The Soup

Soup's Up!

The composer Ludwig van Beethoven said “only the pure of heart can make a good soup.”

I think that what he meant by that is that you can taste the love that goes into a pot of soup. If it isn’t made with love, then it might as well just be potato water.

Who doesn’t love soup? If any dish has come to symbolize the nurturing, caring, and comfort afforded to us by our mothers and grandmothers, none has done so as much as soup. When you were sick, your Granny would feed you Chicken Noodle Soup. Unless you were Jewish. If you were Jewish, then your Bubbe would feed you Matzo Ball Soup, also known as Jewish Penicillin. It was called that because it worked—it made you feel better. And it still works today.

The reasons that it works are simple. First of all, soup is nutritious. It is packed with vegetables, and therefore vitamins, minerals and nutrients needed to fight infection.

Secondly, since soup is so soupy, it helps you increase the intake of fluids, which is so important for flushing out whatever ails you.

Most importantly, soup helps heal because we think it does. The mind is a powerful weapon in the fight against illness. Do not quit taking your anti-biotic or your decongestants. Your doctor didn’t go to school for 20 years to not know what he’s doing. But the way we feel when someone makes us a pot of soup is a tremendous step towards healing. Our grandmas put love in every pot they made, and we could taste it.

Maybe this is one of the reasons that I cannot stand canned soup. Well, that and it just doesn’t taste good. I don’t think the factories have figured out how to put love in processed foods, nor to get rid of that weird tin flavor.

“There is nothing like soup. It is by nature eccentric: no two are ever alike, unless of course you get your soup in a can.”  Laurie Colwin, ‘Home Cooking’  (1988)

Have I mentioned that when he wants to really torture me, my husband will eat cold soup, right out of the can?!  To get him back, I put ketchup on my macaroni and cheese. It works like a charm.

One of my favorites was one that my Granny made—Beef Vegetable. Like most grandmothers, she didn’t have a recipe, she just threw stuff in a pot and it always tasted the same—delicious. That’s the way soup is, so don’t be afraid to experiment with it.

I have replicated in the pot what her soup was in my memories. It was simple, hardy, and turned a few basic staples into a meal to feed a large family, or a small army. I hope you enjoy it as much as we always have.

Vegetable Beef Soup

Beef Vegetable Soup

Serves 12

• 2 pounds beef sirloin
  • 2 t salt
  • 4 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut in 2” pieces
  • 5 large carrots, sliced
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced
  • 3 T beef base (paste style beef bouillon)
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels (kernels from 2 ears)
  • 1 can green peas, drained
  • 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved crossways
  • 1 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 t ground black pepper
  • Optional: half head of chopped cabbage
  • Optional: 1 cup pasta alphabets, or other small pasta

Cut sirloin into ½” pieces. Toss with salt. In a large stockpot over medium high heat, cook meat until juices evaporate and meat starts to brown. Add remaining ingredients. Cover with water. Place lid on stock pot, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 1 hour. If using cabbage and/or pasta, add them in the last ½ hour.

“Good soup is one of the prime ingredients of good living. For soup can do more to lift the spirits and stimulate the appetite than any other one dish.” Louis P. De Gouy, ‘The Soup Book’ (1949)

Advertisements

Tags: ,

Categories: Food, Gourmet, Texas, Uncategorized

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

21 Comments on “It’s What’s In The Soup”

1. 2012/01/19 at 6:24 pm #

Looks great. Love the comments about the cold soup out of the can and the ketchup on the Mac & Cheese! Real life. My bride puts ketchup on her green beans – has since she was a kid. ARGGGhhhhh!!

2. 2012/01/19 at 8:47 pm #

Looks delicious! I love my soup chock full of vegetables!

3. 2012/01/19 at 9:11 pm #

Dang skimpy on the canned soup! I’ve never had one worth mentioning — even on a Boy Scout campout, when anything was better than the burned biscuits!

4. 2012/07/26 at 11:12 am #

POST THIS COMMENT SINCE I EDITED AFTER I POSTED THE FIRSt ONE

LOVE the Quote
    That is a fridge quote for sure
    p.s-you make good soup, soo I gues that quote is the best compliment I can give back to you

5. 2012/07/26 at 11:15 am #

Ooooh you really got something there. So right – who doesn’t love soup? I don’t think I can be friends with people who don’t like soup lol. It’s the ultimate comfort food. I love chunky soup, refreshing soup. Spicy soup. Soup is so satisfying when so much has gone into it. LOVELY 🙂

• 2012/07/26 at 11:30 am #

I couldn’t trust someone who doesn’t like soup, that’s for sure…

6. 2012/07/26 at 11:35 am #

That looks sooooooooooooooooo good!

7. 2012/07/26 at 11:39 am #

Your soup looks delicious! I enjoy making and eating all kinds of soup. It really is a great meal, anytime. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

8. 2012/07/26 at 1:54 pm #

I just made this without the beef or stock. Instead I used chicken broth and a can of tomato sauce….I didn’t use the optional s…..delicious!!! thank you!

• 2012/07/26 at 2:55 pm #

Okay, you’re a cowboy and you made the Vegetable Beef Soup without the beef? My heart is sad.. 🙂

• 2012/07/26 at 3:22 pm #

Doc says I gotta cut way down on my red meat or I’ll keel over way too early. Even Cowboys gotta do what the Doc says, right? So here I also sit with a heritage cooking blog on my hands. Heck, it shouldn’t matter none, what I got stored in my head’s enough for a good hundred more post! Excuse me for runnin’ off here so quick but I gotta see if my soy burgers are finished cookin’ yet. Ha ha ha

• 2012/07/26 at 5:01 pm #

Dang those sawbones keeping a man from his steak!

• 2012/07/26 at 7:27 pm #

I negotiated a deal with him. Every other weekend I get to eat my favorite dinner consisting of one 11 oz. sirloin from the Texas road house. In return, if my blood values don’t go drastically down, I’d cut that back to once a month. Oh well, even 12 steaks a year is better than none!

9. Peter Wiebe
    2012/07/26 at 2:55 pm #

You are right. Nobody makes a soup better than mom and grandma.

10. 2012/07/26 at 4:39 pm #

Yum!!! I have sort of a “kitchen sink” kinda recipe for vegetable soup, so I appreciate this one with ingredients measured out! Can’t wait to try it!

11. 2012/07/26 at 7:06 pm #

I eat soup almost every day!

12. 2012/07/26 at 8:20 pm #

Thanks, I am hungry now. I had Harvest vegetable soup for lunch, so soup is not on the menu for tonight. However, it just might be :-).

13. 2012/07/26 at 8:41 pm #

That looks just like the soup my Mama makes!

14. Abrielle Valencia
    2012/07/26 at 8:44 pm #

I could sure use this right now.:-) It’s chilly outside due to a storm.

15. 2012/07/27 at 7:57 am #

Mmm. Sounds good! I have a houseful of adult kids arriving on Monday. This could be just the thing for a quick and heart-warming dinner when they arrive.

16. 2013/03/18 at 1:00 pm #

Hi Christine, thanks for following me at mittsandmeasures.com! I hope you enjoy the recipes as much as we do. Love your blog and I look forward to reading more from you!