White Trash Wednesdays—–Marshmallow Fluff

I am typically not a fan of marshmallows.  First of all, they are cloyingly sweet.  I don’t like them covered in chocolate—even if they are shaped like bunnies, or Santa, or pumpkins.  And I do not like them in fudge, or ice cream, or anywhere else that I can feel their texture. Because it’s gross.

I do like them toasted, but only when done the right way.  By right way, I mean that they are toasted low and slow until the outside is brown and bubbly, and the inside is so melted the mallow starts falling off the stick. I don’t like them charred on the outside and still gross on the inside. This holds true even if they are to be sandwiched in between some graham crackers and chocolate.

Still cloyingly sweet, but with a slightly better texture is marshmallow fluff, also known as marshmallow cream.  Although I wouldn’t eat it out of the jar, it does have a certain utility to it, being a key ingredient in many fudge recipes.  Also, Mississippi Mud Cake would not be the same without a nice thick layer of fluff between the gooey chocolate cake and the pecan filled chocolate frosting.

In the northeastern United States, the Fluffer-Nutter sandwich is a popular tradition. It is made with peanut butter and marshmallow cream being sandwiched between two slices of white bread.  Obviously, this is not health food.

So, since it isn’t health food anyway, I decided to make it even better by making some distinctly adult improvements to it. BACON makes everything better—apparently, including Fluffer-Nutters.  Also, due to my penchant for spicy foods, I added a spicy Strawberry-Jalapeno jam, just to spice it up a bit, and subbed cashew butter for the traditional peanut butter…..I served it on toasted Hawaiian bread….Ooomph.  It was Phat.

And since I also think everything is better when you can make it home instead of buying it, let’s just make our own marshmallow fluff, shall we?

Marshmallow Fluff

• 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large egg whites, room temp
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or other flavor, if desired)

Combine ¾ cup sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy bottomed saucepan and set over medium heat.  Bring to a boil and allow to reach 240*

While mixture is heating, egg whites, ¼ sugar, salt and vanilla in a stand mixture fitted with whisk attachment.  Start beating the mixture on high just as the mixture in the saucepan reaches 235*.  When the whites are starting to get stiff, and the syrup mixture hits 240*, drizzle a few tablespoons of syrup into the egg whites while they are beating.  Continue with remaining syrup, drizzling in very slowly (or else you will wind up with scrambled eggs).  When all syrup has been incorporated, continue beating until thick and glossy, about 7 minutes.  Use right away, or refrigerate for up to a week.

Goes great on top of dark, rich chocolate desserts, such as cakes and brownies.

Marshmallow Fluff

Marshmallow Fluff

The Piggy Phatness FlufferNutter

• 2 -½” thick slices of Hawaiian or challah bread
  • 1 T soft butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons marshmallow fluff (depending on size of bread)
  • 2-3 tablespoons cashew butter, crunchy or smooth (peanut butter can be used)
  • 2 tablespoons jalapeno or other pepper jelly
  • 4 slices fried bacon

Brush both sides of bread with some of the butter.  Toast both sides on a hot griddle or skillet over medium high heat.  Remove to a plate.  Spread marshmallow fluff and jelly on one side of the bread.  Spread cashew butter on the other.  Add the bacon, and put the two sides together. You know–sandwich style.  Enjoy with a glass of cold milk and a side of guilt.

Assembling the madness...

Assembling the madness…

The Piggy Fatness Fluffernutter

The Piggy Fatness Fluffernutter

Advertisements

Categories: children, dessert, Family, Food, Gourmet, humor, recipes, Texas, writing

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

41 Comments on “White Trash Wednesdays—–Marshmallow Fluff”

1. 2013/01/16 at 12:09 pm #

Seems to be quite yummy definitely gonna try this one day but without bacon, can I add anything else other than that?

• 2013/01/16 at 3:14 pm #

You could…but why would you? Unless it’s a religious concern, I wouldn’t do away with the bacon. If you find you don’t like it, pull it off. Easy peasy. Otherwise, I can’t think of a suitable substitute to the salty smoky bacon…..

• 2013/01/26 at 4:37 pm #

We like turkey bacon which tastes the same (really!) but with more protein and way less fat. Our favorite brand is the non-cured Trader Joe’s variety, but there are other good brands out there!

2. 2013/01/16 at 12:36 pm #

Christine, I don’t know which is better, your recipes or your titles. Love your blog.

3. 2013/01/16 at 1:13 pm #

I agree with you about the best way to roast a marshmallow! Also you have def. improved the Fluffernutter 😀

4. 2013/01/16 at 1:27 pm #

Om nom nom. Yummy!!

5. 2013/01/16 at 2:10 pm #

Oh, FlufferNutters, I love them so much! Being a dyed-in-the-wool Yankee, I was practically raised on them! I’ve never even tasted a PB&J and don’t know why anyone would bother when there is Marshmallow Fluff, sweet nectar of the gods.

I love your take on food and your homemade approach – keep those great recipes coming!

• 2013/01/16 at 3:21 pm #

HA HA! I never had a fluffernutter uuntil I was preparing this post..I have to say, I prefer the PB&J…The fluffernutter is SO SWEET! And mushy. I imagine kids LOVE them…Maybe if I used extra crunchy peanut butter, which I normally don’t care for, there would be some texture to it….I of course would prefer triple bacon, and NONE of the sweet stuff.

6. 2013/01/16 at 3:03 pm #

Oh yeah. Decadent and not a recipe one would share with one’s quarterly blood work medical personnel acquaintances.

• 2013/01/16 at 3:23 pm #

Yes, prior to any doctor visits, I would instead opt to prepare either the “Chicken and Veggie MEatballs with Squash ribbons”, the Grape Nuts Meatloaf, or the Pecan Crusted Tilapia with Fresh Fruit SAlsa and Tequila Reduction..

7. 2013/01/16 at 3:30 pm #

Yes, I agree with gettysberggirl. Your titles are delicious!

8. 2013/01/16 at 3:57 pm #

This takes me back to peanut butter and bacon sandwiches of my childhood. This version looks better, and now I’m really hungry! Btw, I love your comment at 3:23 this afternoon about doctors visits and what not to eat beforehand. 🙂

9. 2013/01/16 at 4:46 pm #

Oh my, these look decadent! I noticed that word was used before. Only word to,describe it. Um!

10. 2013/01/16 at 6:09 pm #

Being a marshmallow fan, I was crazy-excited to see jars of this magical stuff called marshmallow fluff on the shelves in grocery stores, when I went to The States last year. So I brought home a jar and have been savouring it on special occasions (like coming home drunk and making fluffernutters… just the once), not scoffing spoonfuls of it like I would really like to and really shouldn’t be. Thanks for the recipe! Now I can re-indulge like a maniac!

11. Elizabeth
    2013/01/16 at 6:57 pm #

You had me at marshmallow creme….

• 2013/01/16 at 9:04 pm #

For some reason, I see you dunking it with Nutella…or canned frosting.

• Elizabeth
        2013/01/16 at 9:26 pm #

I prefer it with a spoon. The homemade version is much better than grocery store, but definitely riskier for me to have around. I try not to make it often.
        I wouldn’t choke down canned frosting if I were starving, girl. But Nutella is pretty good. Also delicious seved with a spoon.

• 2013/01/17 at 9:00 pm #

Have you tried Biscoff spread yet?

• Elizabeth
        2013/01/17 at 9:09 pm #

Yup. Bought some Cookie Butter at Trader Joes and can’t give it away around here. Resorted to making cookies with the stuff to get rid of it. Weird, huh? I figured they’d love it.

12. thekevinyi
    2013/01/16 at 8:30 pm #

Oh the God….I want.

13. scottandamanda
    2013/01/16 at 9:00 pm #

Oh my word! It never occurred to me that I could make my own marshmallow fluff! Thank you for sharing the how-to. My oldest Big will be very happy.

14. Lance
    2013/01/17 at 12:59 am #

I’m nearly gobsmacked at this magnificent creation!

15. Retronatrix
    2013/01/17 at 2:28 am #

Wow, did this bring back tons of memories. Back in PA the Mennonites eat peanut butter and fluff spread like crazy. The traditional technique is to mix together the fluff with peanut butter until it thins a bit and then eat it on everything humanly possible.

I’m pretty sure it’s the only way I’m going to be able to stomach liver.

16. 2013/01/17 at 7:20 am #

I agree with your take on “Marshmallow” in a jar. It looks and feels too much like an insulating material. I may be guilty of the occasional taste of Miracle Whip but I can honestly say I have never had a Fluffernutter. However this I could try. I think I’d opt for a straight up green chile or jalapeno jelly. Thanks. You are a credit to the Great State of Texas.

17. 2013/01/17 at 7:22 am #

Reblogged this on this ain't no bistro and commented:
    This is one of my personal favorite blogs

18. 2013/01/17 at 5:56 pm #

You have such a great, down-to-earth honesty in your writing. I like the The Piggy Phatness FlufferNutter idea … without the FlufferNutter. This I’ll get some Hawaiian bread and cook some bacon.

19. 2013/01/18 at 11:32 am #

I loathe marshmallow also. It is pretty to look at. That is about it. I must admit, however, that you have piqued my curiosity by throwing bacon into the mix. I’m not a fan of regular bacon (love Peameal aka. Canadian bacon) and I am wondering if by combining two things I don’t like, I might come up with something I love. I’ll keep you posted.

20. 2013/01/19 at 7:39 pm #

I am not sure my heart can handle this blog.

21. 2013/01/20 at 1:19 pm #

My wife is into that whole Fluffer-nutter sandwich thing. Though your version is dope, I think I’ll stick to using this stuff in my fudge recipe. — By the way, we bought grandbaby a marshmallow gun for Christmas. Pretty cool use of those things. 😉

22. 2013/01/20 at 4:47 pm #

I’m new to marshmallow fluff and I can’t wait to check these out.

23. 2013/01/21 at 10:49 am #

I am with you on the marshmallow thing, and funny writing as usual.

24. 2013/01/22 at 8:30 am #

You have inspired me so I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog/Very Inspiring Blogger Award! You may visit my site, http://jeepnmom.wordpress.com/, for acceptance info and some badges. There are also links to some other very inspiring blogs! Have a great day!

25. 2013/01/26 at 4:43 pm #

You have described the perfect and only way to eat a marshmallow. Otherwise, worthless. Except, apparently, to the alligators who greedily ingest them in the Everglades. Of course only when someone tosses them to the hungry fellows.

26. 2013/02/12 at 8:30 am #

I feel the same about marshmallows, I only like them toasted – if done properly.

A friend recently taught me how to get them perfect every time. The trick is to never put them near the flames – always toast them near the glowing embers. Perfect marshmallows every time! So simple, I don’t know why I’d never thought of it!