Maple Black Eyed Pea Stew
If you don’t care for maple, use regular bacon and sausage. Omit Sausage if you wish to lighten the dish up a bit, or use it as a side. If you want to lighten it up a lot, omit meat entrely, and saute the vegetables in olive oil.
- 1 pound maple bacon, chopped
- 1 pound roll maple breakfast sausage
- 2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch parsely, chopped
- 2 cans (15oz each) of black eyed peas
- 2 cans (15 oz each) pork and beans
- 2 cans (15 oz each) field peas with snaps
- 2 cans (15 oz each) crowder peas (if not available, use 1 more each of black eyes and pork and beans)
- 1/2 C maple syrup
- 1 T cajun seasoning (I use Tony Chachere’s)
Cook bacon in dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat until bacon is almost crispy. Add sausage and cook until done, continue breaking it up as it cooks. Add chopped peppers, onions and garlic, and cook until softened. Stir in parsely and heat for 2 minutes. Add all beans (do not drain) and seasoning, and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Serve with cornbread.